( 0161 ) 766 2852

SEN Information Report for Bury LA can be found here..

SEN Information Report for Whitefield Community Primary School Below:


  1. The kinds of special educational needs for which provision is made at the school

The definition of Special Educational Needs: Any pupil at some stage in their school career may develop an individual educational need that differs from the majority of their peers. The definition of Special Educational Needs (SEN) for the purposes of this local offer will be:


“A child has SEN if he or she requires special educational provision in order to access the curriculum and/or achieve his or her full potential.  This provision will include learning difficulties, extending exceptional abilities (G&A-Gifted and Able) and those with emotional and behavioural difficulties (EBD).”  EBD is now known as SMEH (Social, Mental and Emotional Health).


Most SEN will arise from one or more of the following contributory factors:

Moderate Learning Difficulties (MLD) in more than one area

Exceptional abilities (Gifted and Able)

Specific Learning Difficulties (SPLD)

Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH)

Sensory (HI Hearing Impairment; VI Visual Impairment)

Speech, Language and Communication Difficulties (SLCN)

Physical conditions and/or Specific medical conditions (P/MD)


2. Information about the school’s policies for the identification and assessment of pupils with special educational needs (mainstream schools)

Assessment on entry and at the end of the Reception year provides a base for identifying Foundation Stage children who may have special needs,

End of KS1 SATs results (teacher assessment and/or test results). Results of other tests used in school and teacher assessment (children are tested from Year 1 to Year 6 in November, February and May/June.)

Diagnostic assessments made by the SENCO, Educational Psychologist, Advisory Teachers from the LA and other specialist agencies to inform and advise on SEN programmes.

We receive information from pupils’ previous schools and settings.

The progress of all pupils is monitored regularly by class teachers and the senior leadership team, so that when a pupil is not making expected progress in a particular area of learning the school can quickly identify the need for additional support.  This will then be discussed with parents/carers and the pupil concerned.

Informal assessments may include:

  • A concern raised by a parent
  • Observation by a member of staff
  • Evaluation and ongoing teacher assessment
  • Assessment will need to identify strengths as well as weaknesses and should be part of the normal classroom routine.  Evidence collected could include: annotated work, a record of observations over the day or over a specific period of time.

Formal assessments may include:

  • Information from a pre-school setting
  • Discussions from home visits prior to admission into school
  • Early years Foundation Stage data
  • KS1 and KS2 results, result from assessment weeks, school reports, baseline assessments
  • Transition meetings
  • Parental meetings
  • Assertive Mentoring meetings. In these meetings, held each term, the pupil discusses academic targets with an assigned mentor and is given the opportunity to discuss any social or emotional problems or worries they may have.
  • Ongoing assessment: data used to identify attainment and progress to show whether a child is falling behind their peers and/or whether the child is not progressing as expected.  Data will also identify those making exceptional progress who may need interventions to allow for gifted and able needs
  • Educational Psychologists’ reports, input from social care, Children and Young People in Care (CYPIC) meetings, from the Pupil Learning Centre and PLC Outreach.
  • Annual Review Meetings

Other information may come from:

  • The school’s knowledge of the children and our communication with the children and parents/carers.
  • Through observations of the children’s behaviour/attitudes: thestaff is very aware of any changes from the norm.  Staff members are encouraged to discuss any concerns with the Senior Leadership Team.



3. Information about the school’s policies for making provision for pupils with special educational needs


  • A range of assessment tools is used to monitor pupil progress on an ongoing basis and, if sufficient progress is not being made, then appropriate support is put in place.
  • Pupils with a Statement of Special Educational Need, or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC), will have an annual review and progress will be discussed at each termly SEN Planning Meeting.
  • Feedback is provided to parents, including termly Parents’ Evenings, and an annual report will be provided that reviews progress and attainment and sets targets for pupils.
  • Feedback is sought from parents on the effectiveness of support, to enable ongoing development of support packages.
  • Every child’s needs are different and teachers are very experienced in identifying these and suggesting any necessary support.  The class teacher and the Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) will discuss with parents/carers the most appropriate approach to be taken for each pupil.
  • Pupils are placed in sets for Read, Write, Inc and Guided Reading, allowing targeted support to be placed with those students who will need it.  Exceptional students may be placed with another year group which better reflects their abilities. Students who are well below the level expected for their age may be placed in small group to help them progress more easily.
  • Wherever possible pupils with SEN are taught in mainstream classes (but see point above)
  • Pupils will be supported according to need, which may be through one-to-one support with a teacher or a teaching assistant, through access to a specific teaching programme, or by working a small group.
  • Where a pupil has a Statement of Special Educational Needs, or an Education, Health& Care Plan, this will outline the resources needed to provide appropriate support.
  • The school has a fully inclusive policy, and pupils, regardless of special educational need or disability, are fully integrated in all aspects of school life.  The school tries to ensure that no child is excluded from educational visits or out of school activities because of their SEN or disability.
  • The school uses Assertive Mentoring, where each pupil from Year 1 to Year 6 has a termly meeting to discuss their attainment and behaviour, and also to address any concerns the pupil may have academically or pastorally.



4. The name and contact details of the SEN Co-ordinator (mainstream schools)

Our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator is Mrs Anna Williams.

 During her maternity leave Mrs Gaynor Donnelly will be the SEN Co-ordinator in her place.

 Mrs Holly Garrett will also be working with SEND pupils until December 2014.

School contact number: 0161 766 2852

email: whitefield@bury,gov.uk


5. Information about the expertise and training of staff in relation to children and young people with special educational needs and how specialist expertise will be secured

The role of the SENCO is to co-ordinate the SEN provision for pupils in school, ensuring that all pupils with SEN receive additional support and are able to achieve their potential. She organises small intervention groups or individual teaching for children with specific identified needs. As a school we have access to specialist support and training from the local authority and their special needs team.  We are also part of the Burt Learning Collaborative that provides expert and additional training for its members.  All external partners with whom we work are vetted in terms of safeguarding and when buying in additional services we monitor the impact of any intervention against cost to ensure a value for money service.

  • Educational outside agencies include:  Educational Psychology (EPS); Behaviour Support (BS); Additional Needs Team (ANT); Communications Difficulties Team.
  • Specialist health services include:  Speech and Language Therapy (SALT); Physical and Sensory Support Service (PSSS), which includes Hearing Support Service (HI) and Visually Impaired Service (VI); Occupational Therapy (OT); Physiotherapy (PT); Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAHMS), other health professionals including our School Nurse and GPs.
  • We work with Social Care and the Community Police Service.


  • We regularly invest time and money in training our staff to improve Wave 1 Quality First Teaching provision for all pupils, to develop enhanced skills and knowledge to deliver Wave 2 (short-term support interventions) and Wave 3 (individualised support and interventions).
  • Our Special Needs Co-ordinator Mrs Williams, and her replacement, Mrs G Donnelly, are qualified and experienced teachers, both of whom have long experience in dealing with SEN.
  • All our teachers hold Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), and all staff members, including the HLTA, the TAs and the SSAs, receive regular training to support our pupils with SEND.


6. Information about how equipment and facilities will be secured


A central file is located in the PPA room and each child on the SEN register has his/her own file in which all information is stored relating to the child regarding SEN.

Class ‘Yellow’ File

Each class teacher has their own SEN class folder.

  • This should be kept in the classroom.
  • The folder should be available on a day-to day basis and should be accessible to supply staff when needed.

Our finances are monitored and audited regularly and we utilise resources to support the strategic aims of our setting as well as individual learner needs.

We seek to ensure a value for money service and therefore all interventions are costed and evaluated.  These are shown on a whole-school provision map.


7. Arrangements for consulting parents of children with special educational needs about, and involving such parents in, the education of their child.

  • Annual reports and termly Parents’ Evenings give all parents/carers regular feedback on their child’s up to date academic levels, individual reading, writing and maths targets, and any behavioural, emotional or social difficulties.
  • When appropriate parents/carers may be contacted during the term to discuss the support provided by the school and to discuss how they may help their child at home. This may be through a phone call or a meeting. Pupils’ views will be obtained and, when appropriate, they may attend all or part of any meeting.
  • Children with Educational Statements or EHC Plans will have an annual review with the external agencies involved, the parents and school staff. The pupil will also be invited to attend if it is appropriate.  The paperwork following the annual review is the sent to the LA to have the child’s statement/plan updated and amended if necessary.
  • We also operate an open door policy which means that parents can arrange to see a class teacher or the SENCO at any time.



8. Arrangements for consulting young people about, and involving them in, their education


  • Students views are sought though the student council, and through student voice, enabling feedback on the effectiveness of support provided.
  • Students are also able to provide feedback at parents meetings and annual reviews 



9. Arrangements made by the Governing Body in relation to complaints from parents of pupils with special educational needs concerning the provision made at the school


  • The schools complaints procedure is published on the schools website 



10. How the Governing Body involves other bodies, including health and social services, local authority support services, and voluntary organisations, in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and in supporting families of such pupils


  •   School has access to a range of services. These include the school nurse, speech therapy, visual impairment service, hearing impaired service, social care, Educational Psychologist, additional needs team, SEN advisory team and CAMHS.



11. Contact details of support services for parents of pupils with special educational needs, including those for arrangements made in accordance with Section 32 (mediation)


  • This information will be set out in the local authority’s Local Offer




12. The school’s arrangements for supporting pupils with special educational needs in a transfer between phases of education or in preparation for adulthood and independent living


  • The school has an extensive transition programme in place both for students joining the school, and those moving on.
  • The school has close links with partner primary schools, and through taster sessions and open days, seeks to minimise the impact of transition.
  • Assessment and progress data, attendance and behaviour information, and information about friendship groups etc. is collected from a student’s primary school to enable a smooth transition to secondary school. We liaise carefully with the secondary schools in our locality including Philips High School, Castlebrook High School, Parrenthorn High School and Prestwich Arts College. 



13. Information on where the local authority’s local offer is published.

www.bury.gov.uk (exact address to be confirmed)





What is happening?

The Government has introduced a new approach to the way children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their families are supported. The changes will come into place from 1st September 2014.

The changes are intended to:

  • Raise the aspirations and improve the outcomes for children and young people with SEN and disabilities;


  • Give children, young people and their families a greater say over what support and services are available to them;
  • Introduce a Local Offer so that parents and carers and children and young people know what support and resources are available to them in Bury and how they can access these. This is across education, health and social care;


  • Ensure that education, health and social care professionals work together to support children and young people and their families;
  • Introduce an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan to replace the statement of SEN. The plan is focused on the outcomes your child/young person should be able to achieve;


  • Have a simpler and more timely assessment process across education, health and care involving children, young people and their families throughout;
  • Ensure there is better planning and preparation for young people moving into adulthood. The EHC plan can be in place up to 25 if the young person continues to need a plan to achieve their educational or training outcomes.


What is an Education, Health and Care Plan?

An Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan is designed to coordinate all the additional support that your child or young person needs to reach the educational outcomes that are described in the EHC Plan. The EHC Plan will replace the statement of Special Educational Needs and the Learning Disability Assessment (LDA) although this will not happen immediately and will be phased over the next 3½ years.

What is different about an Education, Health and Care Plan?

An EHC Plan can consider a child’s or young person’s needs across education, health and care. It puts the child/young person and their family at the centre of the process. It should coordinate the support that is needed to meet the special educational needs and achieve the outcomes that have been identified and are in the EHC plan. A key part of the plan is making sure that the families and the child’s/young person’s hopes and aspirations for their future are at the centre of the plan. The provision that the child/young person needs can then be shaped to help them to achieve their outcomes.

The EHC Plan has the same statutory protection as a statement and for a small number of children and young people it could be in place from 0-25.  It also coordinates the provision for those children and young people who have health and social care needs as well as SEN.

The EHC Plan also gives parents the option of requesting some aspects of support for their child/young person as a personal budget.


What will happen if my child already has a statement?

In Bury over 1,400 children and young people already have a statement of SEN. The Government has decided that from September 2014 to April 2018, all Local Authorities will have to convert the statement of SEN into an EHC Plan. In Bury we intend to convert statements at key points of transition for example when your child goes from nursery into school, in year 5 ready for transfer to high school and in year 11 and 13, when young people are transferring from school into college. You do not need to do anything at this point as we will write to you in the year your child’s or young person’s statement is to be converted into an EHC plan to explain how this process will work.

At the point where we are converting the statement you and your child will be central to the process in developing the EHC plan and agreeing appropriate outcomes.

Until the statement is converted into an EHC plan, all the review processes you are used to will still remain in place. All the same statutory protections for the statement remain in place. When the statement is converted the EHC plan has the same statutory protections as the statement has now.

 What if my child does not have a statement of SEN, who is an EHC Plan for?

The EHC plan is for children and young people (0-25) who are in education or training and have special educational needs or a disability and who need additional special educational provision over and above what is available in their educational setting.

If your child may need an assessment for an EHC plan then you will have already been involved with plan, do and review cycles that will have sought to meet your child’s/young person’s needs. If progress is not made then the next stage may be a request for an EHC assessment. If you are worried about your child and their progress you should speak to your child’s or young person’s educational setting about their progress and about eligibility for an assessment.

 Who can ask for an EHC assessment?

From 1st September 2014 a person acting on behalf of a school or a post-16 institution, or a parent, or a young person (16-25) can ask the Local Authority to carry an EHC assessment. Other people such as a social worker, early year’s practitioners, and youth offending teams can also bring a child or young person who has or may have SEN to the attention of the Local Authority. The request will be considered by the Local Authority against the thresholds that are published for an EHC Plan.

 What will happen if a request for an EHC Assessment is made?

If a request is made then the Local Authority will let you know that a request has been received and you will be asked whether there is any more information that you would like the Multi-Agency Panel to consider. The information submitted and any more that is gathered will be considered by a Multi-Agency Panel. The Panel will consider the request against the thresholds for an assessment and will decide whether an EHC assessment should be carried out. You will be informed within 6 weeks of the request being made whether the assessment is going ahead. If the assessment is not agreed you will be told why not and about how you can make further representations, seek disagreement resolution and/or mediation and your right to appeal.

 How will we be involved during the EHC Assessment Process?

The new EHC assessment process puts your child/young person and their family at the very centre of the assessment and planning process.  This means that you and your child’s/young person’s views are not only heard, but understood.

If the assessment is agreed then there will be a coordinated assessment process where the information about your child’s/young person’s needs will be collected together. Then a multi-agency planning meeting with you and your child/young person will decide on what the key outcomes are and how everyone working together can help achieve them. These will then be written into the EHC plan and you will be asked if you agree with it. The whole process will take 20 weeks and at the end of this the plan will remain in place until your child or young person has met their desired outcomes and they no longer need the plan. The plan will be reviewed every year with your child/young person and your family at the heart of this process.

There is a separate leaflet on the website explaining how the EHC assessment process works.

What is the Local Offer?

As part of these reforms all Local Authorities must develop a ‘Local Offer’ for children and young people with SEND and their families. The Local Offer is designed to give you clear, comprehensive and accessible information about the support and opportunities that are available for all children and young people with SEND whether or not they have an EHC plan. The Local Offer includes information about the services in Bury across leisure, education, social care and health. It also tells you whether you are eligible for the service, any costs and how you can access them.

Schools and colleges will also be expected to publish information about how they support children and young people with SEND and you will find this information on their websites.

We are involving children, young people, families and service providers in the development and review of the Local Offer and all feedback is welcomed.

Introducing Personal Budgets.

If your child/young person is having an EHC assessment then you may be able to request that certain aspects of the plan are delivered through a personal budget. However this has to be in agreement with the Local Authority, the Health Service and the educational setting and has to be focused on securing the outcomes agreed in the EHC Plan. Any request from a parent would be considered as part of the EHC planning and assessment process. You will be given more information about how this works during the 20 weeks of the assessment.

Where can I get more help and information?

Useful contacts:

Your child’s/young person’s educational setting.

Bury SEND Information Advice Support Service (IASS) formerly known as Bury Parent Partnership Service

This is an impartial, confidential and free service which can help you through the SEND system. It has independent supporters who can visit you at home, give information by phone or support you in meetings.  You can contact the Service at:

The Re:d Centre, Morley St, Bury BL9 9JQ

Tel: 0161 761 0401

E-mail: buryparentpartnership@togethertrust.org.uk

Bury Parents Forum

The Forum is run by Bury parents for parents and can offer a range of support and advice. The Forum can be contacted at:

Phoenix House, 100 Brierley Street, Bury BL9 9HN

Tel: 0161 762 1444


The SEN Team

The Team is responsible for the maintenance and review of statements of SEN for children and young people who live in Bury. In September 2014 it will be the facilitating the carrying out of assessments for an EHC Plan. The Team can be contacted at:

SEN Team, Children Young People and Culture, Seedfield Site, Parkinson Street, Bury BL9 6NY

Tel: 0161 253 5969

E-mail: senteam@bury.gov.uk



The Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice (June 2014) places a duty on local authorities to publish a Local Offer, setting out in one place information about provision available across education, health and social care for children and young people who have SEN or who are disabled. Elements of the Local Offer will be drawn from information published by schools and other providers.


The associated Regulations prescribe (schedule 1) the information that schools must publish on their own website. A copy of the regulations can be viewed here. This applies to all maintained schools, maintained nurseries and Academies, although some of the information to be published is not applicable to Special schools. This template is designed to help schools in meeting these requirements, and enable a consistent approach to the publication of information. The text in bold is the requirement set out in the regulations whilst the text in red is an indicative response provided to guide schools.


Welcome to our Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) pages. We hope you will be pleased with what you read here about the variety of ways in which Whitefield Primary is able to support SEND students and enable them to achieve their full potential.

Our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator is Mrs Anna Williams. During her maternity leave Mrs Gaynor Donnelly will be the SEN Co-ordinator in her place. Mrs Holly Garrett will also be working with SEND pupils until December 2014.


At Whitefield Community Primary School everyone is welcomed into our community. We are committed to ensuring that any gap between SEND and non-SEND is narrowed. This may include a variety of interventions developed on an individual-needs basis.


Tel: 0161 766 2852

email: whitefield@bury.gov.uk